Check this page for news about
- Health care disabilities workshops
- HFCDHP events and training
- New tools for health care providers to use in improving health care access to people with disabilities
OEDP and NOND Release Proceedings Report of the Alliance Roundtable Discussion
The Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP) and the National Organization of Nurses with Disabilities (NOND) held an all-day ODEP NOND Alliance Roundtable Discussion on March 18, 2014. The proceedings report, titled “Health Care Professionals with Disabilities Career Trends, Best Practices and Call-to-Action Policy Roundtable,” has been released. Discussion focused on barriers that impact the ability of people with disabilities, including veterans, to enroll in healthcare careers and obtain employment and necessary accommodations for an aging healthcare workforce.
Quality Services for People with Disabilities and Activity Limitations
“We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”
If you’re a health care worker who comes in contact with the public, this workshop is for you.
- Are you a manager?
- Do you work in member services or at a call center?
- Are you a front office worker, such as a receptionist, administrative assistant, patient information aide, or volunteer?
- Are you a member of a clinical team – maybe a doctor, nurse, therapist, technologist, technician, social worker, or aide?
Every day, your duties bring you into contact with someone who is seeking access to quality health care services with some type of temporary or permanent disability or activity limitation.
To learn more about this valuable training, go to https://www.hfcdhp-training.org/.
For more information, contact Brenda Premo at 909-469-5385.
Accessible Health Care Brief Series
- Importance of Accessible Examination Tables, Chairs & Weight Scales: Edition 3.1 *REVISED*
- Choosing and Negotiating an Accessible Facility Location: Edition 2 *REVISED*
- Improving Accessibility with Limited Resources: Edition 2 *REVISED*
- Health Care (clinic/outpatient) Facilities Access: Edition 2 *REVISED*
Improving and Protecting Your Health
- 5 “G’s”Getting Access to Health Care for People with Physical Disabilities *NEW*
- Using a Fitness Center Does Not Have to be an Exercise in Frustration: Tips for People with Mobility and Visual Disabilities *NEW*
Including People with Disabilities in Policy and Advisory Groups
- Effectively Including People with Disabilities in Policy and Advisory Groups (Edition 2, 2012) PDF MS Word
Provides how-to information for effectively including people with disabilities in policy and advisory boards, councils or work groups; contains material on developing and sustaining an advisory group; discusses why to include people with disabilities; and how to identify qualified people with disabilities. Includes a planning checklist that covers defining purpose, structure, size, lines of communication, membership, recruiting, budgeting, staffing, minutes, accountability, meeting access and accommodations; a planning recruiting matrix; and an agenda and minutes template.